INFP FORUM

A discussion board for INFPs and other people of good will.
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Any mental disorders INFPs? Social anxiety, depression?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:24 pm 

MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F
Hey everyone i'm new on this forum. There is one question i really wanna ask... why are INFPs always labelled as soft, emo, or sensitive? though i've heard worse from other people. Are INFPs really always depressed? I do have bad dayz but hell do INFPs really have to be sterotyped so much?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:47 am 

I struggle with depersonalization when under an overwhelming amount of emotional stress. Any other space cadets out there? x)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

I do suffer from GAD even when I do not have any reason for anxiety since childhood, but sometimes I have plenty of reasons (I think it is partially genetics, but mostly environment - I do not think I ever had a normal life - or what society sees as "normal"). I Do not like how my anxiety makes me feel about myself and others at all, but I am learning to accept who I am. I am self-confident in things I know how to do well. It is hard to be INFP type not feel some kind of anxiety especially because of misunderstanding of our type by the majority who are extroverts (even some introverts will misunderstood us and judge us). It is work in progress I think dealing with anxiety - acceptance of who we are, avoidance of what makes us overly anxious, acceptance that others misunderstand us, finding a nice work environment when you do not feel judged, but most importantly loving oneself as you are - then you can help others. My tendencies were such that I would appreciate everyone except myself, be too hard on myself, being a perfectionist, helping and feeling for others, but not taking time to help and love myself first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:18 pm 

And I do not think that other MBTI types do not suffer from mental disorders - anxiety and depression are rather common disorders in this world (seen as a common cold of mental disorders) and apply to rather large percetnages of the population. I know extroverts who suffer from them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:18 am 

Gender (M or F): M
First of all, relieved to see that others are struggling with anxiety, depression, and so on...it helps me tremendously to be able to hear others say they struggle, thank you for the honesty.

I have struggled with anxiety, panic, depression for most of my life. I hate panic the most. It sucks the life out of you. I was able to come to terms with it by taking a low dose of paxil, it worked great, but also to continue to spend great quantities of time getting to know who I am, and finding my self. This is the hardest thing, it seems like it takes forever to find out who you really are. Why does it have to be so hard?

I grew up in a family that de-valued the self. That which was valued was "comply with the world" and "image." It seemed to be easy for my parents and siblings to take up this yoke, but being INFP and HSP, I did not do well. I felt like shit from say 13 to, um well, last week, no...well yes I still feel like shit sometimes not being able to be like the rest of my family, following all the rules, making money, saving money, house, etc etc. I did not thrive.

I have determined that I suffer from Emotional Deprivation Disorder. I wonder how many INFPs and HSPs might also cope with EDD? I also have a slight hue of attachment disorder. I don't trust the world at all. I don't really like the world. I love the people in it, but to go out everyday and cope with the TV world, it tells me all the time, "You are not valued." Feelings and giving and kindness, and all I hold dear, they are squashed under foot.

As Pink Floyd said, "Welcome, my friend, welcome to the machine."

Ok sorry get all passionatey and stuff....yeah, I got disorder. But I'm glad now, can't imagine being unaffected by so much shit (is that ok to use, that word there?)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 pm 

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this thread is still kickin', but lets give it a shot. I have had a history of social anxiety which developed after some really painful emotional experiences involving peer groups around the age of 14-15. Im now 25 and through the worst of it, although it is still very tough to deal with, I've been to Cognitive Behavioural therapy and Im on Effexor. I've survived through 2 years of intense Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression, so at the moment, social anxiety isn't so bad.

My level of trust in other people is extremely low and I fear the "exposing" of myself to others because I feel like they will reject who I am or cause me emotional pain. I know this is silly, because only I can control these thoughts, but the anxiety still persists.

Does anyone have any advice for regaining trusts in relationships? Some good strategies. I feel very vulnerable and fragile much of the time, even though im 6'2" 200 pounds, eat like a horse, play sports, and do lots of "secret" creative stuff: writing, poetry, solo interpretative dance.

Holler at me please people!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 am 
Site Admin

MBTI type: ENTJ
I've been through similar stuff and although I'm pretty happy now, the fear of rejection in intimate relationships is still there.

They say exposure is the best treatment and I believe it, but you know how paralyzing fear can be.

Btw, I don't think there's anything wrong with not trusting new people. Not all people are good you know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:52 pm 

MBTI type: ENFJ
I don't suffer from social disorders at all nor have much trust issues. :p

I do have arachnophobia which I guess is fairly common among the phobias? Its not that big of a deal with people though.

Now, to CoolManBlue: I would suggest not to have those "secretive" hobbies a "secret" anymore. My best friend INFP has a few of those himself and I find it adorable!!! Point I am making though is how can you trust others if you can't trust yourself around others which you show by doing things you like in secret. Just be more open with that part of yourself and somewhere along the line a good person will come your way. ;) Yes, there are bad people out there but don't let them bring you down and chances are they are only bad because they do the same as you. Hang in there and I love the avatar!!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:16 am 

MBTI type: MBTI
At what point during the Great Depression did economists start calling it a depression? I'm just wondering whether pundits and economists called it a "recession" or a "downturn" or other such euphemisms until long after it was over, when it was finally acknowledged to be a depression, or whether they called it a global depression right from the start.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 am 

Exactly what's in the question... Social Anxiety mostly and Depression. Maybe something else to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 am 

I have generalized anxiety and depression. I've been seeing a therapist lately who has helped me a great deal with some of the anxiety. Some of it is related to work for no good reason. I enjoy what I do and the people that I work with love what I do. Never the less even after two years on the job, I still get anxious sometimes to the point of almost fainting. It's gotten better though in the last few weeks. But I can spend hours agonizing over how to word an e-mail to my supervisor. He's really very nice and there's really no need for me to be so anxious, but there it is.

I also have some post traumatic stress that still rears its ugly head from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 am 

MBTI type: INxx
Woot! Problems!
But not really.

Well, many anxiety attacks since I was 11; a slant toward eating disorders (some control issues, some self-hate issues); some generalized sadness (I don't think I should call it depression); a dash of social anxiety, but presentations in college have eased that, thank [whatever]. I can open up to people, but have low trust for the majority... no one needs to know that much about me anyways, so why show?

I will admit to having some hidden hobbies that only a few know about, like coolmanblue. I have some trust issues in relationships, which also stems from my lack of trust in myself. The only way I have found to cope is to develop Te/Ti more, and definitely pay attention to my first instincts about a person. It has not failed me yet, even if I failed the other person... D= Failing usually means I second-guessed my instinct and it went to hell from there... it's difficult to stop once you get into that function loop.
I suppose he was right (Kafka, if you like): "The true path is along a rope... it seems more like a tripwire than a tightrope." Be careful out there. =)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:11 am 

Well, hi, I'm new to the forum, and I suppose gravitating towards this board first obviously says some things about me anyway so I won't bother properly introducing myself.

I've had trichotillomania since I was around 10-11 years old, not exactly sure. I'm 17 now and it still hasn't stopped. I know some people attribute it to shame or guilt or other things, but I truly believe mine is driven by compulsions. If I pull one hair, the others have to go too until it's a smooth bald spot on my eyelashes or eyebrows... and then I keep touching it to feel the perfection, I guess, which paints a portrait of a little girl struggling to make sense of the world through controlling the loss of her body hair, but... nah, no.

Truthfully I do think that society fosters this need for people to give a name to what's wrong with them - not that things like depression and anxiety aren't valid things to feel, but self-diagnosis also does the job of semi-justifying the way you feel and definitely yields that sense of community. And that's absolutely fine, feeling less alone is definitely what helped me come to terms with my own problem, but it does get a little ridiculous after a while when people just give names to everything. Consider this: after the movie Sybil was released, the number of recorded multiple personality cases jumped from mere hundreds to thousands...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:57 am 

I have anxiety attacks periodicly, social amxiety to some degree and on and off depression. I've just started this and I've already posted a lot, reason being that a. I am afraid of not being heard, of my ideas dying with me, and b. This is my form of communication. I have trouble talking with people, so this is my way of (sort've) having conversations. I think the reason a lot of INFPa have depression issues is becuase we feel so isolated from the resdt of the world, that we feel no one can hear us and yhen the seeds of depression are sowed. That, and I always become depressed when I see a movie, cry and people look at me funny because they don't even think it's sad. I feel very alone and will remain depressed for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 pm 

MBTI type: Intj
I have an OCD. It's much better than it was when I was younger, but it still comes around to make life suck sometimes.